The first two boys were brought out 2 hours earlier and have been rushed to Chiang Rai hospital. The Third boy came out at 7.35 pm (local time) and the fourth emerged at 7.47pm. 5th and 6th boys are reported having since come out as well. Alive.
An international team of 18 rescue divers, which includes 13 international divers and five Thai Navy Seals. entered a northern Thailand cave Sunday morning in an attempt to rescue 12 boys and their football coach. They have been stranded in the cave for more than two weeks now.
Narongsak Osatanakorn, former governor of Chiang Rai province, who is leading the effort stated at the press conference where the rescue attempt was announced. “We can say they are all international all-stars involved in this diving operation and we selected five of our best who can work with them,”
The rescue operation commenced at around 10am (local time) and the soonest any of the boys can be expected to be freed is 9pm, Osatanakorn said the boys and their families had been informed.
“Their health and their minds are ready and they all have knowledge of the mission,” he said. “They’re ready to go out.” The children will have to be removed one at a time which means the operation could continue through tomorrow (Monday)
He stated that the 1.5km path which leads from the entrance of the cave to the “third chamber” and which has been a staging ground for the operation, was not completely dry yet but is mostly walkable. “Yesterday the water levels were the lowest they had been,” he said.
He would not say, however; whether any of the boys would have to dive during the long journey from where they have been sheltering to the third chamber.
Specifically, Osatanakorn said:
Today we are most ready. Today is D-Day. Today at 10am, 13 foreign divers went in to extract the children, along with five [Thai] Navy Seals.
As we look at the weather forecast, a storm is coming and torrential rain is expected, then our 100% readiness will decrease and we will have to pump the water out again,” he said.
As for the kid factor, the kids are very determined and they are of high spirit. All 13 kids have been informed about the operation and they are ready to come out. They firmly decided to come out with us.
The families of the kids have been informed and they agree with us.
Rescue workers are seen near the cave complex. Photograph: Tyrone Siu/Reuters
We’ve rehearsed [the medical preparations] for the past three to four days. We even practiced with a real kid – practicing the position of O2 tank and the marking … I assure you that we are very ready in this mission.
I ask you all to patiently wait for news and send support and wish them success.” Narongsak Osatanakorn, former governor of Chiang Rai province.
From the reaction of people from all over social media, it is clear that the rescuers, the 12 children, their coach, and all of the families involved are in the prayers and thoughts of millions who sleeplessly await word of their safe recovery.
Rescue workers arrive at the Tham Luang cave complex ahead of the mission to free them from the cave. Photograph: Soe Zeya Tun/Reuters
A US military personnel carries an air tank at the Tham Luang cave complex Photograph: Tyrone Siu/Reuters. Video camera Images and photographs are courtesy of Reuters and The Guardian and are the sole property of their owners for whom all rights are reserved. Many images and information for this report were supplied by The Guardian Click on their link above for live feed and updates as this story develops further.